Shabby Blog

Tuesday 31 July 2012

Cheesy Lentil and Pepper Quiche Recipe

I have almost used up my previously baked lunch items for Nye and I was recommended the Lentil Quiche Recipe from The Baby-led Weaning Cookbook by Gill Rapley & Tracey Murkett.


I've adapted the original recipe to what I had available in my fridge so here's my version.  I had enough left over pastry from the 9inch dish to make a mini quiche which I have photographed.


This recipe has no salt as it is for for Nye but you could use Salted Butter or add some to the mix to taste.






Cheesy Shortcrust Pastry:
  • 200g (7oz) - Plain Flour]
  • 100g (3 1/2oz) - Unsalted Butter
  • 100g (3 1/2oz) - Grated Cheese
  • 3 tbsp - Cold Water
- Lightly grease the baking tin (I used a 9inch sq tin so I can cut it easily into fingers)
- Rub the butter and flour together until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs then add the cheese and lightly mix.
- Slowly add the water and stir in with a knife until the mixture comes together.
- Knead the pastry on a lightly floured surface until it forms a stiff dough.
- Roll it out to fit your chosen baking tray
- Blind bake in oven  @ 190°C (375°F/Gas Mark 5) for 10-12 minutes





Lentil Quiche Filling:
  • Unsalted Butter for frying
  • 1 Garlic Clove, finely chopped
  • 2 spring onions, finely chopped
  • 175g (6oz) - Red lentils, rinsed in cold water and drained
  • 600ml (1pint) - Milk
  • 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
  • 2 eggs
  • 75g (2 1/2oz) - Cheese, grated
  • 1 sweet red/orange/yellow pepper, sliced
- Heat the butter in a pan and fry the garlic and spring onions until soft.
- Add the lentils and stir.
- Add the milk and Thyme and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes (most of the liquid will be absorbed)
- Check and stir the mixture every 5 minutes.  It is done when the lentils are soft.  
- Preheat oven to 190°(375°F/Gas Mark 5)
- In a bowl/jug beat the egg and stir in half the cheese.
- Fish out the Thyme Sprigs and add the egg mix to the lentils and stir until mixed (be careful the pan is not too hot or it will scramble!)
- Pour the mixture into the pre-cooked pastry case and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the look of this. We are big lentil fans in this house, but I've never thought of making a quiche out of them. Can't wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well and truly recommended! I've only made quiche once before but it was easy peasy. Hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great. I've got that book too but so far have only made the porridge fingers!! Not v adventurous of me!

    ReplyDelete

Share

Search This Blog