I've adapted the original recipe to what I had available in my fridge so here's my version. I had enough left over pastry from the 9inch dish to make a mini quiche which I have photographed.
This recipe has no salt as it is for for Nye but you could use Salted Butter or add some to the mix to taste.
Cheesy Shortcrust Pastry:
- 200g (7oz) - Plain Flour]
- 100g (3 1/2oz) - Unsalted Butter
- 100g (3 1/2oz) - Grated Cheese
- 3 tbsp - Cold Water
- Rub the butter and flour together until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs then add the cheese and lightly mix.
- Slowly add the water and stir in with a knife until the mixture comes together.
- Knead the pastry on a lightly floured surface until it forms a stiff dough.
- Roll it out to fit your chosen baking tray
- Blind bake in oven @ 190°C (375°F/Gas Mark 5) for 10-12 minutes
Lentil Quiche Filling:
- Unsalted Butter for frying
- 1 Garlic Clove, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 175g (6oz) - Red lentils, rinsed in cold water and drained
- 600ml (1pint) - Milk
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 eggs
- 75g (2 1/2oz) - Cheese, grated
- 1 sweet red/orange/yellow pepper, sliced
- Heat the butter in a pan and fry the garlic and spring onions until soft.
- Add the lentils and stir.
- Add the milk and Thyme and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes (most of the liquid will be absorbed)
- Check and stir the mixture every 5 minutes. It is done when the lentils are soft.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas Mark 5)
- In a bowl/jug beat the egg and stir in half the cheese.
- Fish out the Thyme Sprigs and add the egg mix to the lentils and stir until mixed (be careful the pan is not too hot or it will scramble!)
- Pour the mixture into the pre-cooked pastry case and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.